Although the RCEME Corps only came into existence as a separate Army Corps in May 1944, its history and functions in the Canadian Army date back to the early twentieth century. However, it was not until October 1967, with the opening of the RCEME Corps Museum in Kingston, that the Corps had the means to preserve its history and artefacts.
Unfortunately, this first Kingston version of the museum was short-lived. With the CF integration and unification in February 1968, the RCEME Museum in Kingston was closed, and its artefacts were moved to the Base Borden Military Museum. The years at Base Borden were lean with the RCEME collection sharing space and limited resources with several Corps and Branches.